Winter is coming and your driveway could be in danger. While it may be the most wonderful time of the year, winter’s fresh snow, slick ice, and freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on your pavement. In order to preserve your driveway pavement, you have to stay ahead of the snow.
Here are a few ways to prepare your driveway for winter!
1. Clear and Clean Your Driveway
Before your driveway is covered in a coat of snow and ice, make sure that it is clean and clear. Pick up any fallen branches, leaves, or other debris, and give your driveway a nice wash to loosen dirt and grime. If these are left beneath snow and ice, it can cause the deterioration of your driveway.
2. Check for Cracks in Your Driveway
Another way to prep your driveway for winter is to check for cracks in your pavement. Any cracks that you have in your driveway now will most likely get worse if you do not address them.
Rainwater and melting snow will seep through cracks and eventually freeze when the temperature drops. When water freezes, it will expand and put pressure on your pavement, causing the material to shift. As the ice eventually melts, the pavement remains expanded and cracked.
It is important to seal any cracks that you find prior to the winter months to avoid any of these issues.
3. Apply Driveway Sealant
Give your driveway a protective coat with a quality sealant to fill any tiny cracks. Driveway sealants can also prevent damage from de-icing chemicals. Apply your sealants after your cracks and other damages have been repaired.
4. Check for Draining Issues and Level the Ground
Poor drainage can cause melted snow to pool in your driveway. If the temperature fluctuates, puddles may turn into slick ice. Just like other cracks, the ice will expand and worsen the conditions of your concrete or asphalt. To prevent this from happening, make sure you have proper drainage prior to the winter season.
5. Invest in the Right Ice Melt
When you are preparing your driveway for the winter, you must think about purchasing an ice melt. Your driveway will get quite icy, and you will need an ice melt so that you can add traction for your tires.
It should be noted, however, that the type of ice melt you use can make a huge difference for your driveway. Some ice melts contain hard chemicals that will erode your concrete or asphalt, so you will certainly want to avoid these. Choose a calcium-based ice melt to significantly reduce damage compared to chemically based blends.
Prep Your Driveway for the Winter with Products from UNIQUE Paving Materials
As you prepare for the winter months, consider purchasing high-quality concrete and asphalt repair products from UNIQUE Paving Materials. Some of the premium products we offer include:
- UNIQUE® Concrete Pourable Crack Filler – This product is a Gilsonite-modified asphalt emulsion concrete crack filler designed to fill cracks and joints in driveways, parking lots and any other concrete surfaces.
- UNIQUE® Concrete Sealer – For use on new or aged concrete pavements, this concrete sealer will help protect your surface from damage caused by freeze/thaw cycles, oil, dirt, deicing salts, and more.
- INTEGRA-SEAL® Gilsonite-Modified Asphalt-Based Sealer – This premium pavement sealer is engineered to seal, protect, and beautify aging asphalt without producing odors or health and environmental issues seen with coal-tar-based sealers.
Learn More About How UNIQUE Can Help You Prepare Your Driveway for Winter
Are you ready for the winter conditions to hit your driveway? Prep your driveway for the winter with our products from UNIQUE Paving Materials. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you!